Traveling rejuvenates your mind, soul, and body. It allows one to feel young again by exploring new places and meeting new people who teach us new cultures, creating lasting memories. However, the most important thing when traveling, whether for a few days or a whole month, is the need for a perfect travel wardrobe.
The clothes that you pick can make or break your trip. It affects your comfort, style, and overall enjoyment. Frequent travelers know the dilemma between looking stylish and being comfortable. This guide aims to help the less knowledgeable pack the perfect travel wardrobe that ensures you are prepared for any destination and occasion.
- Comfort is key
When it comes to traveling, comfort should be your top priority. Being uncomfortable will make your journey miserable. Clothes made from breathable and light fabrics such as cotton and linen are a good choice because they let your skin breathe, making it an excellent choice for warm climates. Stretchy fabrics are also a good choice as they allow for freedom of movement, which is essential if traveling involves a lot of walking. Stylish dresses like maxi, cocktail, and fashion dresses offer much room for movement and comfort.
- Choose comfortable footwear
Choosing the proper footwear is paramount for any travel experience. Choosing the wrong shoes may cause pain and blisters to your feet; it can also cause health issues. Therefore, you must select the right shoes when traveling. We recommend lightweight and comfortable shoes when traveling; save the other shoes for special occasions.
You should also pick shoes that will match multiple outfits. Loafers, sandals, or slip-on shoes with cushioned soles are great choices. High heels will only torture your feet; you don’t want that; if you prefer heels, then low heels are the best option. Consider packing a pair of flats such as fore button, cross maasai sandal, and beetle maasai sandal That you can wear on formal occasions and evening outs. This ensures that you have the right footwear for any occasion.
- Accessories for style and functionality
Accessories are a must-have for any wardrobe. They are important as they elevate your look by adding a touch of style to it. To enhance your look, pack a few versatile accessories, such as scarves, earrings, or a statement necklace. Functional accessories like backpacks also improve your style and travel experience.
Versatile pieces that can be worn differently are a good way to go. For example, a two-set necklace that can be shortened or lengthened can go with various looks. On the other hand, a sea shell necklace can also be worn as a wrist or leg bracelet.
Invest in quality luggage.
The luggage that you carry can also help in improving your look. You should invest in high-quality, durable suitcases or travel bags with a sense of style. Bags like the duffel bag, the safari bag, and the backpack are sure to elevate your look while also being functional.
- Swimwear and activewear.
If your travel involves water-based recreation, e.g., beaches, pools, and hot tubs, you should include swimwear for the activities. Those engaging in activewear like hiking and yoga should pack the right clothes for these activities. Clothes such as African beachwear and summer outfits will help improve your overall productivity during these times.
- Invest in versatile basics.
Building your travel wardrobe around versatile basics is a foolproof strategy. It would be best if you prioritized versatile pieces that can be mixed and matched to create various outfits. Neutral-coloured tops, bottoms, and outerwear are the foundation for countless outfit combinations. Mixing and matching these pieces will create different looks without overpacking. A classic white t-shirt, a well-fitting college jacket, or a kimono are essential items that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
- Embrace travel-friendly beauty and skincare.
Looking chic while traveling extends beyond your clothing choices. Give attention to your skincare and beauty routine as well. Multi-purpose products should be your go-to because they are lightweight and cheaper; items like tinted moisturizers with SPF protect your skin while providing light coverage.
You should also keep your make-up simple and fresh; you can carry palettes of make-up, which can separate your make-up into segments you require. For example, for lightweight users of make-up, their palette can include concealer, highlighter, luminiser, cheek and lip color. For heavy users of make-up, you can use eight palettes that carry more but still suit your needs.
Don’t forget to stay hydrated and carry a travel-sized bottle of your favorite perfume to refresh you throughout your journey. By all means, reduce what you take, but don’t leave stuff at home that is important to you.
- Layering is key
Layering is an important skill to learn as it greatly improves one’s style. It helps one adapt to different weather conditions. For example, lightweight outer layers like the kente bomber jacket, beige college jacket, or a cozy scarf will provide an extra layer of warmth when needed. They can also be easily stowed away in your bags when conditions change. You should opt for items that can be layered without increasing the bulk of your luggage.
Start with a base color like black, white, grey, blue, or whatever color you choose. You can then add items of clothing that go with this base color. If you like wearing blue clothes, you can add an odd pop of color, purple, peach, yellow or red. This ensures that your travel wardrobe is the same. This, in turn, makes you feel comfortable in what you wear because it is what you know. Wearing the same color tones in layers looks stunning. That is why black on black looks so stylish and stunning during the day or night.
- Invest in travel-friendly fabrics.
The clothes that you pack into your suitcase will be what you live out of during your travels; therefore, they need to be suitable for your needs and lifestyle. Some tips that I can give you to make the right choices when preparing your suitcase include:
- Wrinkle-resistant clothing- traveling requires living out of his/her suitcase. The suitcase is majorly cramped and can cause clothes to wrinkle. Wearing wrinkled clothes is not advisable as it shows that you are not organized. You don’t want that, do you? To avoid this, you need to pack wrinkle-resistant clothes. Clothes made form jersey, merino wool, and synthetic fibers are a good choice that can withstand the constant packing and unpacking. They also save you the time that you would have used to iron the clothes out. Some wrinkle-resistant clothing that we have include the geometric African shirt and guitar African shirt.
- Moisture-wicking undergarments- you spend most of your time moving from place to place when traveling, which causes friction on your parts, which in turn causes sweating. Sweating, in turn, causes discomfort. The right undergarments will ensure that you remain comfortable till your next stop, where you can change them out for new, cleaner pairs. Investing in moisture-wicking and breathable socks will keep you dry and comfortable.
- Sun protection clothing- too much sun can cause a really painful sunburn. Travelers going to sunny areas need to carry sun protection clothing. Sunglasses, wide-brimmed hats, long-sleeved shirts, and shukas offer protection to both your skin and eyes.
- Quick-dry fabrics- vigorous activities like swimming, hiking, rafting, and rock climbing make one sweat a lot. The clothes that a person participating in these activities wear need to dry up fast, or the user will be uncomfortable or even get hypothermia. It is necessary to carry quick-dry fabrics that will dry up fast. Clothes made from polyester, nylon, and silk are a good choice for this. You can wash them, and within a short period, they are dry and ready for use again. It is a lifesaver as it reduces the need for carrying many clothes for these activities. Some clothes we have for sale suitable for this activity include dashiki shirts and light T-shirts like the beige T-shirt and the home T-shirt, among others, which are great choices for this
- Insect-repellant clothing- bugs and insects can really irritate your skin, and some insects, like spiders and mosquitoes, are also poisonous. If you are not careful, your journey will end up with you in a hospital bed. Therefore, it is paramount that you carry insect-repellent clothing if you are traveling to such areas. These clothes will act as a shield against these bugs, protecting your skin and health.
- Waterproof and windproof clothing- weather is sometimes unpredictable; you can never tell whether it will rain or be windy, and therefore, it is important that you are prepared. Waterproof and windproof outerwear is essential if you are traveling. A lightweight raincoat or windbreaker will provide protection from adverse weather while also occupying minimum space in your luggage. Preparation ensures that you can still have fun even when changes you did not account for occur. Hoodies like the African map dashiki hood and the black hoody are sure to protect you from the weather.
Creating a travel wardrobe is not hard. You just have to take time to consider your clothes’s comfort, versatility, and functionality. The right clothes will meet the required functionality while also showcasing your style. Not a lot of people can mix the two, you are sure to wow them!
Remember, the key to successful travel lies in having fun with what you wear, participate in, and the memories. Remember the memories.
Have fun on your travel, and be safe out there.